Adventure Northern Laos (10D9N)
This 10-day South East Asian odyssey travels from Luang Prabang, on foot, by car, boat and tuk-tuk to the heart of Northern Laos. See the mysterious Plain of Jars and ancient ruins of Xieng Khoang, stunning scenery and the best part is the chance to meet many ethnic-minority groups in their colourful attires and different culture.
HIGHLIGHTS & INCLUDE
- Pass caves and ethnic minority villages while passing through Laos' scenic countryside
- Learn the fascinating history behind Laos' role in the Vietnam War
- Visit remote ethnic minority villages and meeting their colourfully dressed residents
- Cruise on a traditional boat to visit a traditional silk village and trekking to a famous cave
- Meet the colourful Blue Hmong and Lowland Lao people in Vieng Xai
- Witness a world-famous archeological mystery at the Plain of Jars
- Souk in the peaceful cultural hub of Luang Prabang
Enjoy a 7-hour drive from Luang Prabang to Luang Namtha through the pristine countryside of northern Laos. You’ll stop for lunch in a roadside village, and at other points to stretch your legs arriving in the quiet town of Luang Namtha by late afternoon. Tucked in the northwestern corner of Laos, Luang Namtha shares a border with China and Myanmar. Overnight in Luang Namtha.
Recommended Luang Namtha Hotels:
- Phou Iu III Bungalows
- Amandra Villa
During the Vietnam War, the American military dropped more than two million tons of ordnance, today visit the UXO office and hear about the work conducted to remove unexploded ordnance that remains in Laos. Visit the Golden Stupa situated on the top of a hill just on the outskirts. This afternoon arrive in the town of Muang Sing, home to a diverse ethnic minority population for the overnight stay.
Visit the Golden Stupa in Luang Namtha's outskirt
Today explore villages outside Muang Sing by foot, discovering facts about the area’s ethnic-minority groups at every turn. Take a tuk tuk ride to the village of Ban Don Chai and the start point for your trek. Wander around the village and then set off to Ban Pha Kha, an Akha minority village. The Akha people originally come from China and are predominantly mountain dwellers. Walk through the fields to see the Yao ethnic groups in Ban Sai Leck, Ban Jong Kha and Ban Nam Mai, and see the local women weaving on old wooden looms. Return to the guesthouse then rest.
Visit Ban Don Chai, Ban Pha Kha villages of Akha ethnic group, villages trekking
After visiting a buzzing morning market, head back to your guesthouse for breakfast. You will then head to Nong Khiaw, a small town on the banks of the Ou River between hoary limestone mountains. Stop in a H’mong village along the way to see how their traditions differ from those of the area’s other ethnic-minority groups. You’ll also visit a local school and catch a sunset from the Ou River’s banks.
Recommended Nong Khiaw Hotels:
- Mandala Ou Resort
Take an upstream cruise to visit the lowland residential areas of Ban Sopjam. The specialty here is homespun silk and cotton. Learn how to use a loom; the local family will be delighted to teach you. Then head village of Muang Ngoi for lunch and an easy trek to Kang Cave, once a refuge from American bombing raids. After swimming through the cave, head back to Nong Khiaw.
Trekking to Muang Ngoi village and Kang Cave
Enjoy a 7-hour drive by road to Xam Nuea and Vieng Xai passing through beautiful scenery with lush green sloped mountains, even in the dry season. This small township is nestled on the banks of the Nam Khan River and is home to Blue Hmong with their colourful attires and lowland Lao. Some suggested sightseeing is included depending on the actual arrival time.
Hotel in Vieng Xai, Houaphanh:
- Chitchareune Hotel
It is another long drive to reach the small quiet village of Muang Kham, where you can soothe your muscles in a hot spring.
Today, we visit Tham Piew, a large cave that 400 civilians used for shelter during the Secret War. One day in 1968 US aircraft lobbed a rocket in killing over 400 civilians who were hiding inside. There are memorials and a museum onsite and charring from the explosions (four rockets in total were dropped, three missed) can be seen on the exterior of the cave. Continue to Xieng Khouang province, the gateway to a mysterious archaeological puzzle, called the Plain of Jars.
Recommended Hotels in Xieng Khouang Province:
- Vansana Plain Of Jars Hotel
- Anoulack Khen Lao Hotel
Tham Piew cave
The Plain of Jars, a world-famous archaeological site has stumped curious scientists and historians for decades. Scattered across the plains lie giant stone vessels, some as high as three metres, that are thought to be thousands of years old. After exploring the site in detail, head to Muang Khoun, the former capital of Xieng Khouang. Bombing raids have reduced the former royal kingdom to a handful of temple ruins, but traces of its colonial grandeur are still visible.
Visiting The Plain of Jars
Continue on to Luang Prabang where your tour will end. You’ve seen the best of Northern Laos!
MORE TOURS HERE
- In the wet season the drive by minivan is not very comfortable due to the slippery road. So 4WD truck is recommended (prices accordingly)
- Prices are in USD, per person, based on two people traveling together and sharing a room. At Laos Senses Travel, we carefully select all hotels, homestays and guesthouses to ensure that your accommodations match our standards of trip and service excellence.
- Prices include the following:
. All hotel accommodation including all taxes and breakfast
. Internal economy flights as stated with airport taxes
. All transfers & sightseeing transportation in private vehicle
. Private services of local guides
. All special events & private tours, guest experts
. All entrance fees into historical sights & museums
. Drinking water and refreshing towels for touring
. 24/7 support from the Laos Senses Travel Team
View hotels list
- Located in Luang Namta, Phou Iu III Bungalows features cosy bungalows with a private terrace. It offers free Wi-Fi, which is available in all areas.
- Phou Iu III Bungalows is a 5-minute walk from Night Market and Luang Namta Tourist Department. Luang Namta Airport is a 10-minute ride away. The property offers free on-site parking.
- Nestled amidst gardens, the bungalows feature an outdoor seating area. They are provided with a fan and an en suite bathroom.
- Local dishes can be sampled at many restaurants located around the property.
- Located in the heart of Luang Namtha, top attractions such as the Night Market, Fresh Market, restaurants, and bus station are only a few minutes away. Amandra Villa enjoys a commanding position in the sightseeing hub of Luang Namtha. Only 4km away, this 2-star hotel can be easily accessed from the airport.
- Offering hotel guests superior services and a broad range of amenities, Amandra Villa is committed to ensuring that your stay is as comfortable as possible. Free Wi-Fi in all rooms, 24-hour security, a convenience store, daily housekeeping, and photocopying are just a few of the facilities that set Amandra Villa apart from other hotels in the city.
- Experience high quality room facilities during your stay here. Some rooms include towels, slippers, a mirror, free welcome drink, and Internet access to help guests recharge after a long day. The hotel's host of recreational offerings ensures you have plenty to do during your stay. Discover an engaging blend of professional service and a wide array of features at Amandra Villa
- Set on the banks of the Nam Tha River, just a short drive from the town of the same name, the guesthouse has excellent access to the Nam Ha Protected Area, the Nam Tha River and Lao ethnic villages.
- Accommodation is basic but comfortable, and the restaurant serves great, authentic Laos food.
View hotels list
- Situated along the peaceful Ou River, Mandala Ou Resort welcomes guests with a beautiful outdoor infinity pool and free Wi-Fi access at all areas. Spacious guestrooms are fitted with a private balcony.
- Cooled with a fan, rooms at Mandala Ou Resort also come with a wardrobe and tea/coffee making facilities. Bathroom facilities are en suite and include free toiletries.
- This serene resort is located just opposite Phaxang Cliff. Luang Prabang City Centre is 3 hours away by car while Luang Prabang Airport is 2.5 hours away by car.
- Guests enjoy free access to the traditional Lao herbal sauna and free bike rental services. Meditation and Yoga activities can be arranged and airport shuttle services are available at a surcharge.
- Overlooking tranquil nature views, a selection of Thai and Western cuisines can be enjoyed at the Dining Restaurant.
View hotels list
Featuring free WiFi throughout the property, Misouk Hotel offers accommodation in Xam Nua. Free private parking is available on site.
Rooms are equipped with a flat-screen TV. The rooms have a private bathroom fitted with a shower.
- There is luggage storage space at the property.
- Naxay II Guesthouse use is situated only 0.5 km from the city center, guests are well located to enjoy the town's attractions and activities. With its convenient location, the hotel offers easy access to the city's must-see destinations.
- Offering hotel guests superior services and a broad range of amenities, Phasouk Guesthouse is committed to ensuring that your stay is as comfortable as possible. Guests of the hotel can enjoy on-site features like free Wi-Fi in all rooms, 24-hour front desk, luggage storage, Wi-Fi in public areas, car park.
View hotels list
A 5-minute ride from Xiangkhouang City Center, Vansana Plain Of Jars Hotel offers comfortable rooms with private balconies and en suite bathrooms. It boasts a restaurant and free WiFi access in public areas.
Vansana Plain Of Jars Hotel is a 15-minute drive from Xiangkhouang Airport. The archaeological landscape, Plain of Jars is a 20-minute ride away.
Bright and airy rooms at the hotel are equipped with a fan, a cable TV and a refrigerator. Free toiletries are provided in the en suite bathrooms.
For convenience, a 24-hour front desk service and chargeable shuttle services are provided. Staff at the tour desk can help guests with sightseeing and travel arrangements.
- Vansana Restaurant offers an extensive a la carte menus of both Thai and Lao dishes.
- The hotel located in the Xiengkhouang city center, on the way to old airport, very convenient for walking, near to the restaurants, markets, Exchange units, business areas etc... Anoulack Khen Lao Hotel with 30 elegantly and tastefully decorated, large guest rooms offers clean, an atmosphere of good service, friendships, courtesy and genuine Hospitality.
- Room Amenities Include Air-conditioning, Cable TV, Fridge, Private bath room with hot water.
- Hotel Facilities: Restaurant, Conference room up to 50 people, Lift and free for pick up from and to airport. Special!! we have free Wi-Fi in hotel area.